The Gift of Problems


My Thoughts On Problems
  1. I have them.
  2. While inconvenient, most of my problems are not earth shattering.
  3. I continually brace myself for the inevitability of encountering the earth shattering variety.
  4. I don't really like to talk about my problems...unless you are a stranger in an elevator.
  5. I value problems for the lessons that come with them.
  6. I wish the lessons were a little more instantaneous.
  7. I am not very good at passing lessons on to others. I can only ever seem to say "Yep. Know what you mean"
  8. I would like to do less "yepping" and more honest to goodness helping.
  9. Problems I can Yep about:
  • Money Shortage
  • Health Problems
  • Blended family woes
  • Certain Types of Abuse/Mental Scarring
  • Addiction/AlAnon
  • Loss of Religion (not loss of faith or belief... just loss of blind trust in ceremony)

I don't believe I could share anything about the above problems and really make a difference to anyone facing similar struggles. I believe the lesson is found in the journey one makes through those shadows and that comfort is found in discovering the lesson.

Perhaps that is why all I can manage is "Yep."

As sober as all of this may sound, as much as I may know about problems and their value, I will still act like MY problem is the worst thing to happen since the fall of man when I am first encountering a new problem. This hissy fit will last longer than I'd like to admit.

I have learned through various problems that even the worst storm will pass.

I have seen many problems met with unexpected sources of help or inspiration.

The pastor who helped me when my car over-heated.

The friend who shared a secret so we could "yep" together.

An unexpected package that contains exactly what is needed- without anyone knowing the need.

There are so many delightful little twists; I believe this element gives problems their story to tell. I relish gleaning these tidbits from each trial I must face. I can't claim to relish the problems all that much.

Through our own problems we gain compassion for others and their problems.

We can use that compassion for wonderous things, or we can use it to "yep" people's ears off...I'm still working on my game plan there.

Cliche' as it may sound, in very recent days I pitied someone because they had not been as fortunate to experience certain struggles that I have had the priveledge to reap certain strengths from.

I am sure they could pity me also with strengths they received from problems I haven't had.

Isn't that the best part of problems? Or at least a really good point... they build community. They build relationship. They encourage forward thinking and positive attitudes.

Current Problems I am having:

  1. Knowing when to hush.

Search This Blog