Calabash, NC

The first time I went to Calabash, my husband was playing in a golf tournament with his dad. Besides the usual issues that can arise when traveling for any length of time with family members, the trip was a pleasant one. Enough so that I've been wanting to go back.
Sometimes, my memory can be sugar coated or rose tinted if you prefer- I'll remember things more fondly in hindsight only to be slightly disappointed when able to recapture or revisit the situation. I wasn't disappointed this time, however.

We checked out Ocean Isles first- it was just as we left it- quaint and quiet.

We then headed onto Sunset without having to wait for The Bridge.

I have renamed the bridge leading to Sunset "The Prayer Bridge" because with only one lane, the one way structure seems to be made of toothpicks that clatter far too much 'neath the tires. It leads one to an instant prayer life.
The bridge is also a swing bridge, that rotates out into the water to allow boats through... you find yourself hoping (PRAYING) everything reconnected ok when your time comes to cross to the other side.
Because it is one lane, one way and also a movable structure for boats, many times you'll find yourself in that wonderful position to meet others known as traffic. There is about a 20 minute window for either side of traffic to cross before the swinging begins...

When we were ready to leave Sunset, we encountered the wait (and that opportunity to meet others- who are these people that feel the need to get out of their cars ?)

Once our turn came to cross, we left headed back in Calabash for pancakes and touristy shops.

Sunrise is my favorite pancake house in the entire planet- even besting IHOP and that says a lot if you know my passion for the HOP.
It isn't any one thing that makes Sunrise special- rather it is everything. The feel of the place is classic. Staple foods are served with the feeling that we are sitting in the midst of the owner's own American Dream. There is a certain type of pride that flows through the place and covers everything like maple syrup... it just tastes sweet.

And the pancake choices get creative- like my favorite- the Pineapple Upside Down Pancakes with crushed pineapple and crunchy brown sugar in the center-- you don't even need syrup!

This is the kind of place where conversations are held across table tops with fellow diners- strangers, yet friends.

You can't have breakfast in a place like this without succumbing to a big carafe of coffee~ which I happily did. ( only a few of you know to think "UhOh! She's back on coffee"- but that's the way it should be)

A short stack and two heavily creamed mugs later, we waddled over to Calabash Nautical Gifts for a little exercises. The little touristy shop is labyrinthine in nature- there's a Christmas room, a hutch for pirate wares, a nook for jewelry of all types from costume to handmade,spaces for fine art and garden goods amongst many other cubbyholes filled with curiosities throughout the shop . Wandering through the whole facility may walk off enough breakfast to merit buying a treat from the on site fudge factory.

Does it show I like Calabash? I've decided that, even though it is one of those places introduced to me through marriage, I can admit I do like it.
After all, I gave him AMELIA
Some highlights of our day in Calabash:

Search This Blog