SPOTTED

I recently had some difficulty uploading photos to our local newspaper's online Bluffton Today feature . I promptly sent up smoke signals for help and just as promptly received help from BT's web guru Lisa. It was quickly discovered that I mostly just need to curb my enthusiasm with the shutter button and lower my Free Gallery expectation level from Limitless to Three. That and quit being so impatient, stop with the multiple clicks per second, etc

However, due to my over abundance of pictures and desire to categorize and sub-categorize them all, Lisa asked if I'd like to be a SPOTTER- translated: volunteer community photographer with galleries to spare

I wasted no time with my "Heck, Yeah!" and went in to their offices (despite rainy conditions) the following day ,to get things all set up. They took a head shot for my official "She's With Us" press badge (how exciting, no?) and gave me box of "You've Been Spotted" business cards to hand to those I shoot. (So they can go online and give us traffic...er, um I mean, see themselves :)

I've got more reason to seek community events now, and haunt them from set up to clean up time (which I can conveniently take pictures of rather than participate in :).
I can even call the paper and request they get me tickets or access to events too-- I can't imagine an event that would require such string pulling in our community, but is IS nice to know all I gotta do is ask.

I'm most excited about my little badge though, because I tend to feel very in the way or like I'm stealing something whenever I've got the camera out... a sniper may be the best picture for you to visualize here because that is how I feel... sneak up and shoot. The badge not only entitles me to be in the center of the action with my camera out, it demands I use it, often and in as many locations as possible.

I imagine this wonderful sense of freedom must be shared by concealed weapons permit holders... "I am allowed to carry this, and shoot you if necessary"

Other interesting points to note- the Savannah Morning News is Bluffton Today's mommy and William "Billy" Morris is its daddy.

Morris Communications is reportedly responsible for the creation of the SPOTTED software/platform and it has been incorporated in all of their newpapers' online editions.

I grew up in Augusta, GA- home to the Augusta Chronicle, Morris Communications , and all the wonderful by-projects of Mr. Morris. (The Augusta Futurity, anyone? Morris Museum of Art, perhaps?)

When working, playing or living in Augusta, it is hard to play "6 Degrees of Billy" without getting tagged around degree #1

Have you ever read the newspaper? Tag- Billy gotcha! Have you ever been to the Futurity?Tag-Billy gotcha! Have you ever been to The Morris? Tag-Billy gotcha! Have you ever eaten a steak? Tag! Billy gotcha!

See?

Really just a bit of trivia there, but I like the little way it links me back to both Augusta and Savannah.

My Profile: Muddy Britches

Galleries I take will be tagged with "MuddyB" but otherwise fall under the "WE Spotted" section- lumped together with the newspaper's ID.

Knowing me, I will upload it all there, here and @ Flickr too.

My first galleries as a spotter are of last week's Week of Champions sports clinics (old news, I know) but can be seen here: Muddy B Gallery

Search This Blog