Persuasion

This is my second cousin, Ryan.

(here in the South, we like to keep dibs on how far you are removed, cause once you hit Fifth, we can marry ya)

Ryan is flexible- see?

But Ryan is flexible in another way- he can be persuaded to change his point of view. I watched this scene unfold over the weekend ( I even got a small speaking role in the the first act). It was funny in a way, but sad in another.

Scene 1: Franklin Motel, In front of hotel rooms 114 & 115

Enter Ryan, addressing his cousin Jamela, who is at this moment, enjoying a smoke break.

Ryan: Jamela, you aren't supposed to smoke!

Jamela: Yes, I know, but I need to smoke right now.

Ryan: But you could get cancer, and die- those things can make you sick

Jamela: I know, but...

Ryan: Jamela, you're my family and I don't want you to die.

Jamela: Well, I know, but...

Ryan: Jamela, you are my......what are you to me?

Jamela, I am your...what am I to you?

ME: You are cousins

Ryan: Yeah, we're cousins and I care about you. DO NOT INHALE THAT SMOKE!

Jamela: ~blows a puff of smoke into the air~ " Ok, I exhaled it"

~takes another drag

Ryan: Jamela, you just inhaled it!

(a version of this dialogue continues another few minutes, until other big people get into the game and start picking on poor Ryan about sector 7 and smoker's rights. Ryan disappears.

Sometime, in the night, Ryan got a little talking to about people making their own choices and how we don't have to agree but we should respect them.

Scene 2- The Next Morning, same hotel, same rooms

Enter Tyler, Ryan's older brother and Ryan

They spy Jamela having yet another cigarette on the lawn across from their room.

Tyler: "Smoking is bad for you, Jamela"

Ryan: indicating Tyler needs to hush up cried in his brother's face, with his fist clinched in the air, "Tyler, people smoke!"

Search This Blog