Curious Costume Party

Island West (our neighborhood) held a costume party this past weekend for residents. The children were encouraged to come in costume and the adults were invited to enter a chili cook off. We indulged in all the available fun. My chili took third place- my prize was a maple leaf pancake turner and some halloween pancake molds with changeable face expressions. ( pumpkin & skeleton)
I had nudged the kids to think of costumes in lots of three... the three musketeers, Peanut, Butter, & jelly, etc. While in a local thrift store, we came across a yellow suit coat that Fisher fell in love with. It didn't take long from there to come up with The Man In The Yellow Hat, Curious George and A Banana. It did take a lot of coaxing to convince Logan to be a banana, and contrary to what you might believe, pointing out that she could call herself "Hannah Banana" didn't help matters at all. Finally, she agreed and our costume was a hit. The children painted pumpkins, guessed how many candy corns in a jar and played a modified version of "Cake Walk" where we gave them extra goody  bas instead of cakes, because we adults thought we'd rather share/eat the cakes than give them all away. I like to think I had something to do with that because a lot of folks wanted to open the cake I brought and were dismayed to hear it was for the cake walk. It was Brown Sugar Banana Sour Cream Pound Cake with Chocolate Chips, Pecans & Poppy Seeds with a Chocolate Ganache Glaze. Lots of people were happy, and said so, once they got to open  and taste it. I beamed a bit, I'm sure :)
It was great to get to meet our neighbors and just relax in this way for the morning ( the cake and chili had kept me up cooking all the night before!)
Here are some pictures of our time with neighbors (and the irresistable proof the my kids once dressed up like this for me :) :

Search This Blog