King Tut

While in Atlanta recently, the kids and I took in the King Tutankhamen exhibit at the Civic Center. The kids just wanted to see a mummy, but I made them stop and listen as I read to them from the different displays. This only lasted so long! They were disappointed that there were no actual mummies to be seen, though I believe they still enjoyed seeing some of the burial items. Probably the biggest impact item for them was the cat's coffin, which they were sure still contained an ancient mummified cat.
(I imagine they are right)
I personally found the detail of the carving fascinating and the many various "gods" with which they were buried the most interesting of all. I have heard about idols made from wood and gold my entire life, but I've only seen modern ones (you know, golf clubs, Hershey bars... whatever :)
We've been learning about Egypt in our Mystery of History studies, so seeing the artifacts first hand was not only a real treat but a great way to observe first hand some of the things we had learned.
Obviously, cameras weren't welcome beyond the foyer- but here is what we did take:

In what can only be described as "typical", the one item best retained in their memories from our Egyptian studies (thus far) is the one item I included just for fun. I fear that the only thing they may be able to describe about King Tut now, is that he was "buried in his jammies!"
(On the bright side, their pop culture horizons were vastly expanded in Steve Martin 101, whom they had only previously known as "Inspector Clouseau" from modern day Pink Panther takes.)



Search This Blog