Dallas Wiens



I am an unabashed prowler of library recycle bins- I especially look for magazines, because I like to cut those up - mince words if you will...

On a good day, I will happen across a stack of The New Yorker 
(leave that Yankee/Reb stuff at the door...I LIKE The New Yorker, ya'll...)

In a recent back-issue of one such 'library adoption', the February13, 2012 issue, I read the article 'Transfiguration'.
 It is the story of Dallas Wiens, one of the United States' first full face transplant recipients.

Dallas lost his face when he was struck by an electric volt---while painting a church. 

In the article, Dallas gives God glory and  proclaims his life one of transformation- from one who was living life for himself, to one who has submitted his life to God.

 Dallas says he knows he was running from God and he believes God took his face to save his life...

I'm including a video taken at what appears to be Dallas' former school, prior to the transplant surgery- it is rather long- but in it, Dallas speaks with the students about his accident and encourages them that, no matter what seems to be hard or bad in their lives, God is standing right beside them, waiting on them to turn around, into His embrace...we could all use that reminder sometimes.

If you don't have time for the entire video, this segment begins around the 14mm

There are some other great videos and photos on Dallas' site.
Especially precious are those of him with his young daughter-before and after the accident. 

I can't help but wonder if I could travel through such extraordinary circumstances and still have good things to say about God. Of course, I love to believe I would... but in my humanity, in humility,  I think...wow, I don't know... sometimes I pitch a such a hissy fit (to God) over the silliest stuff...I've got a long way to go on the whole long-suffering lesson, I assure you...

What about you? Do you feel like your faith would be shaken if God asked you to surrender the very basis of your identity? Do you worry that admitting you would be shaken invites God to do bad things in your life? Are you running from God; living life on your own terms?

Do you really want things to come down to an end where losing your face is a mercy?

Don't you know that losing your identity in the image of the One who formed you is the beginning of measureless Grace?

There, but for the Grace of God, go I, indeed.

Search This Blog