Cup of Irony, Cup of No





A well endowed house save a few essentials...



I woke up in Madame Blueberry 's house (in a tree and everything.)


My mother-in-law is a woman who has just about everything...two and three of some things...but yesterday morning, she had no coffee pods. Lots of tea [which I love] but not a drop of the kick-in-the-pants-in-a-cup that I needed to get me up and get me thinking this particular morning.


And my father-in-law Charlie runs a proud "gourmet" kitchen... he even went to a Johnson & Wales Camp once upon a time.  Imagine my surprise when I  discovered the man has no French press,  no grinder. 


And that's what made the bag of whole coffee beans ironic.


Or was it that they were the only coffee to be found in all the house? 






Either way.





I am here to tell you that I was undeterred.






I am also here to tell you that determination alone does not the cup of coffee make.


You need many other elements.


I found the closest thing to a grinder and made. . . well, ...I made coffee nibs if we're being honest. . . but since I was already squinting, my vision unaided by "the best part of waking up",  it wasn't SO hard to believe it was just a coarse grind. . . until I tried to brew it.












The water did change colors,  I'll give me that.






No French Press,  no coffee grinder and not a single mesh strainer to be found. 


 He does have a flour sifter though.






 Oh, yes I did. 


No,  no it did not.



What I discovered was that,  however coarsely ground those beans had been, they were not too chunky to sneak through the sifter and into the mug...not to mention my mouth.





Coffee nibs are chewy bits of goodness when mixed in chocolate, not so much the morning cup of joe, in this case a morning cup of 'No'. 


I mentally demoted Charlie from Grandfather Gourmet  to chief coup stirrer. No man can climb past that rank without a mesh sieve. It just can't be done.







:: rinse everything,  load the weeble wagon and hug the folks at Baker's Pride, who not only have an appropriate cup of coffee at the ready, but a danish to wash it down with::























Search This Blog