Poetry Month: Day Nine



Today, my Great Uncle Charles died. I really wish he could have stayed on...wish they all could.



He was a really good guy.



And now, we all draw near that old screened porch -which will never be the same again- to say fare-the-well...for now...until we meet again.



We share our grief, our loss. We recite the stories and share memories rehearsed a thousand times before. This time they are tributes.



I am listening to the stories as if I've never heard them before.

I am trying to remember them well.

For those who know all the best stories keep up and leaving the room. 









DYING WITH AMISH UNCLES


Julia Kasdorf





 The ground was frozen so hard


his sons used a jackhammer to pry


open a grave in the rocky field


where Grossdaadi's wife and daughter 


lay under the streaked stones


that tell only last names: 


Yoder, Zook, Yoder





Amish uncles, Grossdaadi's sons, 


shoveled earth on the box; 


stones clattered on wood then quieted


while we sang hymns to the wind. 


Bending over the hole, 


Uncle Kore wouldn't wipe


his dripping nose and chin. 





Ten years later when we gather


for July ham and moon pies, 


the uncles stand to sing


Grossdaadi's favorite hymns. 



they almost laugh


with tears running 


into their beards; 


Abe and Mose and Ben 


do not wipe them. 





Their voices come deep as graves


and unashamed of shirtsleeves


or suspenders. Seeing them cry


that brave, I think the uncles 


mustn't die, that they'll stay


with those of us who must, 


being so much better than we are


at weathering death. 





 As I shared this poem with family tonight, I thought to look up the hymn mentioned in the poem. It led to an interesting documentary on life as a Hutterite and footage of a ninety year old granny singing old hymns - many of which we recognized. For a brief moment, an impromptu sing-a-long occurred--this borrowed granny, my parents and me.



I'll leave you to link hop at your leisure, but here is the poem's hymn for your convenience:






Search This Blog