broken

The listing read "Stitch me back together." It was a hand-turned vessel, made from grapevine, that had cracked under pressure.  It caught my attention. I am drawn to finding beauty in broken things because I am a broken thing. If we were to have a show of hands, I'm probably not the only one.


So it was that I adopted this broken vessel as a kind of self-portrait.










When it arrived, I discovered 'FRAGILE' apparently means something like 'Please shake til glass breaks' in post office speak. The test tube had shattered. While it retained its shape, it would not retain water. What's more, it was not keen on leaving its cozy wood lodgings; it was stuck. The two vessels were broken individually and together. 










Yesterday, I finally found a chance to sit alone with 'myself' and consider the broken vessel. 





Before contemplation: 











I started to use gold paint with kintsugi in mind, but rather quickly had a different inspiration.





After contemplation: 





Faults hold worlds only appreciated by drawing near.











I wanted the shattered glass to find redemption, too. I fashioned a small candle from a trimmed wick and the scrapings of soft wax from a candle. I let my little light shine. 









You'll notice that the light is most visible where the vessel is most splintered. 






When the flame was extinguished, a beautiful, relaxing smoke curled up and up for the longest time. I do love that smoky scent. I could burn incense here too, if incense smelled good. 










I am eagerly awaiting the next package from my woodworking friend, Brock. It is a bowl with a hole already in it! 







Though most of his work does not come pre-blemished, you should check out his wares.

But I call dibs on the misfits. 


Search This Blog