phone calls

:: incomprehensible  screeching over the line::

"It's her." said my date's mom, as she handed him the phone.
He walked into the other room, trailing his half of their conversation behind them like a cord.
"It's none of your business who it is." he informed the receiver, before his voice faded into the other room.
And then we went to dinner.
~~~
"I don't know. I'll ask. It's not that big a deal, okay?"
He hung up and turned his attention my way.
'Did you take him to see Santa?'
I had. And I hadn't known it was sacred ground. I just thought we were having fun. Kids like Santa and I was babysitting this kid. I didn't have any of my own. It turns out Santa is a special thing that parents do with their kids. I was dating his parent, not his actual parent - oopsie daisy.

 

Search This Blog