Review of 'The Truth About Us' by Brant Hansen

:: I paid full price for my copy of 'The Truth About Us'. This is not a purchased review or review for trade. ::



Full Disclosure: Even after all the personally affronting, bracing-like-cold-water truths he felt compelled to share in 'The Truth About Us', Brant Hansen is going to have to try much, much harder to get me to "unsubscribe" from his personal brand.



However, I cannot keep this man's books on my shelves - here's why:



As a long time listener and reviewer of previous books, I can't look away from the puppet-driven Hansen train as it plows happily through our comfort zones and leaves us asking pitifully for more accordion.



In 'Unoffendable', Brant checks the mic: "Testing, testing, 3...2...1 - you have no right to be angry but you're not the only one"



In 'Blessed are the Misfits', Hansen raises the house lights: "Look around, all quirky, jaded and flawed souls, we do not misfit alone."



And now, in 'The Truth About Us' Brant Hansen looks our vulnerable misfit crowd in the eyes and delivers hard truths as he best knows how, factually and to the point: "You guys aren't actually all that good" he says "but... turns out,  neither am I."



2nd Full Disclosure: The truths in Brant's new book aren't new truths, but they are often unpopular, untouched truths, the kind with a tendency to scald once spilled. Along comes Hansen, puppets for pot-holders, willing to handle and spill for all.



This brings me to the one running problem I have had with Hansen's books reaching all the way back to 'Unoffendable' and the reason I don't keep his books on my shelves to this day:  I cannot  keep his books on my shelves. 


Oh, sure - they visit, maybe spend spend the night or a few, but I can never keep them shelf-stable for long. Before I've reached the end, I always have someone- usually several people- in line to share them with. No matter how many copies I've purchased, they always find their way into another's hands.



I recommend a digital copy of your own and a lending copy for friends.



As Brant has pointed out, we are prone to forgetfulness. Keeping a copy of Brant's words around is like having a letter of encouragement in your pocket from a sincere,  on-demand friend.





'The Truth About Us' contains bad news, but Bran't won't leave you to squirm alone... and he won't leave you without some very good news, too.










Search This Blog