AT YOUR SERVICE: MidNight McService (No Sugar)

MidNight McSERVICE (No Sugar)

The closing crew, hours ahead of schedule 
Have started cleaning up
Too soon

We stragglers still need coffee 
And fries
We know not to ask for ice cream

“Medium Americano, please”
“And a large unsweet tea”
“extra ice if you don’t mind...no sugar”
I re-emphasize

This far South,

‘Sweet’ is all that translates

and syrup is always pre-supposed

The first sip of tea is crisp
and cold, my coffee delivered hot, without excuses.
I am deeply grateful

Behind me, a bag gulps to life
in the hands of a young man taking out the trash 

Everyone here just wants to go home

I cram the receipt and straw paper into my pocket
instead of the yawning can

Stepping into the night, convinced this small act will translate:
“Thank you, have a good night
Godspeed you home”





Search This Blog