Dear Me: Sympathy


I was grieving something I couldn't explain, so I bought a sympathy card. 

I didn't write in it for some time. Mailing was further delayed by a literal drenching rain. 

But what kept it pinned to my bulletin board long after it dripped-dry was the emptiness that follows calling Grief by name. 

And then one day, post-marked months before, my words arrived. 

Here is what I said to me (and now, to you, if need be ): 

                                                                                                    November 12, 2023

"It is okay if you don't have words for what and why you are grieving.
It's okay if all you know is "I'm sad" or "I wish it ended differently."
When your world has imploded -- or exploded, when your life has experienced a catastrophic event... it is okay to hold a new funeral for each new piece you pick up along the way...it is okay to mourn the pieces you cannot find or name.
It is okay to take your time. It's your time. All of it. You may use it in as many ways as you need.Or you can use it in as few...to rest. Be kind and gentle to you."
                                                                                                    ~k

Search This Blog